I am a documentary filmmaker and photographer who is dedicated to telling stories that resonate and connect.
Over the last several years I’ve worked on issues ranging from the plight of African migrants entering Europe to the troubling issues of climate change and political unrest in the Maldives. While my projects have taken me to various parts of the world, I am currently focused on contemporary issues in New England. A sensitive eye for color, the use of complex compositions and the ability to create provocative, arresting imagery that engages the audience are hallmarks of my work. I use images to tell stories that aren’t being told, to provide glimpses of the human condition in all its complexity, and to tap into emotions that challenge my audience.
I bring a diverse background to the fields of photography and journalism. I have a B.A. in International Relations and Biology from Bowdoin College. Prior to my career in photography, I worked 10 years in finance. Since earning a Masters in Photojournalism from the University Autónoma of Barcelona, I’ve received several international awards, including the Sony World Photography Awards, the Environmental Photographer of the Year Awards, the Travel Photographer of the Year Awards and the PX3 Prix de la Photographie.
I am a regular video and still photography contributor to The New York Times, NBC News and the BBC. Prior to begininng in filmmaking, I was a founding member of the photo collective, Prime, a cooperative of international photojournalists dedicated to using photography to tell important stories about the world we live in. To support my documentary and issues oriented still and film projects, I work with corporate and non-profit clients on projects that utilize documentary-style storytelling and issues-oriented projects.
I live in Boston, Massachusetts with my wife and son. También hablo español.
- Boston Press Photographers Association, honorable mention, 2012
- Global World Human Rights Award, Finalist, 2011
- Sony World Photography Awards, Shortlisted, 2011
- NPPA Monthly Multimedia Contest, A Troubled Paradise, 1st Place, 2010
- Environmental Photographer of the Year Award, Highly Commended, 2009
- International Prize of Photojournalism "City of Gijon" 2009, Finalist
- Travel Photographer of the Year, Winner Life category, 2008
- SOS Racism Award, Winner, 2008
- Ei8ht Magazine Awards and Summer Show, Finalist, 2008
- Travel Photographer of the Year, Winner New Talent category, 2007
- Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 15 Years, Barcelona, Spain 2013
- Prime Collective Group Projection with Razon Collective, Look3 Festival of Photography, Charlottesville, Virginia, 2013
- Prime Collective Group Show, Look3 Festival of Photography, Charlottesville, Virginia, 2011
- Intl Meeting of Photojournalism in Gijon, Spain, 2009
- Exhibit Excel, London, 2009
- Ei8ht Magazine Awards and Summer Show exhibit, London, 2008
- Albania: A Jump Towards Europe, Barcelona 2008
Clients & Publications
- The New York Times
- Time Magazine
- BBC News
- Blue Chalk Media
- NBC News.com
- The Financial Times
- Le Monde
- Le Figaro
Excellent photographer! Top-notch work, personable, professional and all around a breeze to work with.Mark Murrmann, Mother Jones magazine
Charlie sends me consistently beautiful work which has a visual depth and that is both edgy and compelling. He is helpful and full of ideas which makes my job as a picture editor a pleasure.Melanie Grant, Intelligent Life magazine
Discovering and editing Charlie's pictures is always a pleasure. He's one of these rare photographers who takes the story deeper by thinking about his shots and compositions, meanwhile always respecting the dignity of the people, and sometimes adding a sense of humor.Peggy Porquet, Corbis News
Charlie’s passion for his work is easily visible in his teaching style. He skillfully nurtures an intuition to see and think like the camera does. Our one-on-one sessions left me not only with a new set of techniques and style, but a unique insight into how photojournalists move and adjust for each shot. Now, when I view photographs, I see more of what is there.John J. Happel, former student
Charlie is an extremely good photographer. His real art is he can convey a story beautifully and artistically. In addition to his superb skills behind the camera he has great business acumen. Charlie is a pleasure to work with and he re-acts swiftly to clients requests. I wholly endorse Charlie Mahoney to anyone.Matt Shonfeld, Institute for Artistic Management